Composting Quick Tips
- Contact your municipality to purchase a compost bin.
- Alternate food waste with layers of brown leaves that keep the compost dry and enhance decaying. Collect bins of leaves in the fall.
- Do not add fish, meat or oil to a backyard composter.
- Contact your municipality or the regional Compost Hotline (604-736-2250) to find a worm composter and how-to workshop information.
- Once your worm bin is established, adding materials and bedding become routine and everyone in the home can participate.
- Red wrigglers – worms used in composting – work hard and fast, creating compost in three to six months.